Friday, June 15, 2012




Poppy: The Story


       I had really wanted a dog for a while , my labrador Kona had sadly passed away five years ago and I thought I was ready to get a new dog to love and care for. Back then; this was about a year ago; I thought breeders were the only way to go. First, I thought about getting another labrador because they are great dogs, but I decided I wanted something a little bit smaller. So I thought of a cockapoo. I went to a breeder close by to me and looked at puppies, they were very cute but something didn't seem right. I decided not to get one yet. Another year passed, and after searching and searching I just didn't feel right getting a dog from a breeder. I realized I really wanted to give a dog a home who really needs one.


          I went on petfinder.com and started looking and found out there was a Humane Society close by to me and I decided to go there. I took my mom with me and we looked and looked. Finally I saw the most adorable puppies; there were three of them Tucker, Toby and Talulah, and they were all Jack Russel/Border Terrier mixes possibly with poodle too. Tucker was an all white, plump little puppy, Toby was a small little guy and was salt and pepper colored, and Talulah was a very unique looking pup. She was tall, she was white with creme and light brown markings and I could tell right away she was my puppy.


Poppy at the Humane Society

          I asked the volunteer if I could meet the little girl. They took her out of the little dog condo and into a Socialization room. She was a great puppy, she came straight to us, licking us and jumping into our laps so she could lick our faces. I was ready to adopt her right there and then. Unfortunately, the volunteer told me she had already been put on hold and likely go to her forever home in two days (she had to be fixed before going home). There was a slim chance I'd get her, but the volunteer could tell I really wanted her so she said I could put my name down on the waiting list and I'd be the first one they'd call if her first adoption didn't go through.


   A day passed and I was positive that she had already been adopted. But I was wrong, I got a phone call at later that and they said the adoption hadn't worked out because the other adopters had cats and were concerned dog and cat wouldn't get along. I drove to the Humane Society and picked her up. She was super sleepy because she had just gotten her spay surgery. She slept almost all day that day, but the next day she came out of her crate and walked straight up to me and sat on my lap. 
Her first time home

     Talulah is a very lady like name, which she definitely is not... So I renamed her to Poppy because she can jump three times her height, straight into the air! Just like popcorn popping:) 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment